Sciencewise-ERC funded project 2006-2007
sciencehorizons provided the opportunity for citizens to respond to possible future scenarios and share their hopes and fears about specific technologies and general trends. Find out more about the project background.
Aims and Objectives
- Discover views about future directions for science and technology from a broad set of participants
- Inform policy and decision-making on the direction of research and the regulation of science and technology
- Help identify priorities for further public engagement.
- Effective exploration with the public on the same set of issues using different techniques
- Provided evidence of the extent to which the engagement technique affects people’s views
- Substantive findings presented to policy makers. Findings included in a cross departmental mapping of where policy “homes” lie.
- Sciencehorizons Case Study
- sciencehorizons Deliberative Panel Report
- sciencehorizons Evaluation Final Report Annexes
- sciencehorizons Evaluation Report
- sciencehorizons Evaluation Summary
- sciencehorizons Facilitated Public Events Report
- sciencehorizons Small Group Discussions Report
- sciencehorizons Summary Report
“Public dialogue improves and strengthens relations between citizens and the state – a relationship that needs strengthening.”Policy maker
“I feel more involved, knowledgeable and informed on where to find information.”Participant
“It gave me the opportunity to explore the future and put into perspective where the technology really is and not what the media tell me.”Participant
Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS)
The commissioning agent is the Horizon Scanning Centre of the Government Office for Science as part of its programme on Wider Implications of Science and Technology (WIST)
Dialogue by Design
Lead dialogue contractor. Dialogue by Design specialises in running public and stakeholder engagement processes using online, paper-based and face-to-face methods.
Latest Status Update
This project is now complete. Find out more to the right.