Openness in Animal Research Dialogue
Sciencewise funded project 2013
The most recent Ipsos Mori poll on public attitudes to the use of animals in scientific research showed a small but significant (7-10%) decline in the public acceptability of animal research in medicine – overall though there is high conditional acceptance of use of animals in research (c. 85%).
Aims and Objectives
The key objectives for the elements of the public dialogue covered by the Sciencewise grant are to hold a dialogue to explore with the public their understanding of animal research in the life sciences and their views and aspirations around transparency and accountability of such research, hence:
• To understand public expectations of openness and transparency around the use of animals in research
- Openness in animal researchPublic dialogue report
- Openness in animal researchPublic dialogue appendices
- Openness in animal researchInterim evaluation of public dialogue
- Talking head video - Becky Purvis, Head of PolicyAssociation of Medical Research Charities (AMRC)
- Talking head video - Nick Palmer, Director of Policy (BUAV)British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection
- Talking head video - Professor Eleanor Riley (Immunology)London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- BUAV video final
“I want to know how many tests were done by a particular organisation and how many of them were successful and drugs came out, how many failed and how many were not going to make the medication better so had to waste money, time and the poor animal who lost its life.”Public Participant
“More Home Office inspectors that could increase the number of random spot checks, and independent monitors with a minimum level of qualifications, competently and adequately trained.”Public Participant
The Medical Research Council (MRC)
The MRC is a publicly funded organisation dedicated to improving human health through world class medical research, and is the commissioning agent.
Understanding Animal Research
Understanding Animal Research provides information about animal research and testing and the resulting advances in science and medicine. UAR are leading project delivery.
Dialogue deliverer. Ipsos MORI, part of the Ipsos Group, is a leading UK research company, specialising in social & political research and public dialogue on complex and sensitive issues.
Dialogue evaluator. 3KQ is a company of independent facilitators and evaluators specialising in dialogue processes on contentious topics.
Latest Status Update
Dialogue report published (November 2013).
Workshops held in July & Aug 2013.