Sciencewise co-funded project 2010
The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), in partnership with Sciencewise-ERC is carrying out a public dialogue to explore the views of the public in relation to geoengineering. Find out more about the project background.
• The process had a positive impact on participants (both expert and members of the public) in terms of learning and experience.
• The immediate impact on the “sandpit” event was considered important because the two projects that were recommended for funding through the sandpit were both to have public dialogue components as a result of the dialogue process and one of the projects was to use the outputs from the dialogue project specifically.
• There was ambivalence over the extent of the wider impact that the dialogue process would have on decisions about geoengineering research in the longer term, but it should be remembered that this was a relatively small-scale one-off activity, and one of the conclusions in the dialogue report was that it should be an on-going process.
Latest Status Update
Geoengineering our climate: Fixing Earth’s Future? - a British Library event on 14 July
Article from the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme highlights Geoengineering dialogue
Participant blog post - Christian Robinson
Geoengineering dialogue report and summary published on NERC website on 9 September 2010
Read our blog from Peter Hurrell of NERC on the Experiment Earth dialogue
Read our blog on the Science Museum ‘lates’ event
Online survey now closed
Summary meeting of the dialogue takes place 24 April 2010
Policy Maker View
“The main value is that it demonstrates that government is listening to the public. It’s taking account of what the public thinks.”Expert
What the public said
“I just thought it would be a general discussion, I didn’t think that you would have scientists there explaining different things to you...that was the best part about it really.”Participant
“Geoengineering should not be an alternative to living more sustainably, this is the only real long term soution.”Online survey
- A Public Dialogue on Geoengineering Case Study
- Adam Corner talking headDialogue Resource Material
- Catherine Redgewell talking headDialogue Resource Material
- Chris Groves talking headDialogue Resource Material
- David Adam talking headDialogue Resource Material
- Geoengineering Dialogue evaluation reportCollingwood Environmental Planning
- Geoengineering Dialogue final report
- Geoengineering dialogue leaflet
- Mike Edwards talking head Dialogue Resource Material
NERC (Natural Environment Research Council) is the UK's main agency for funding and managing research, training and knowledge exchange in the environmental sciences.
Ipsos MORI is a UK market research company and led the delivery consortium.
Dialogue by Design
Dialogue by Design specialises in running public and stakeholder engagement processes using online, paper-based and face-to-face methods.
The British Science Association
Exists to advance the public understanding, accessibility and accountability of the sciences and engineering in the UK.
Collingwood Environmental Planning
A multi disciplinary consultancy responsible for the project evaluation.
Find Out More
- Ask the public about geoengoneering says NERCInternational Business Times
- Cardiff University dialogue press release, August Cardiff University
- Cardiff University dialogue report, August 2011Cardiff University
- Engineering the climate: research needs and strategies for international coordination.Report publish by Chair of US House of Representat
- Experiment Earth?Planet Earth (NERC)
- Experiment Earth? Reflections on geoengineering public dialogue (IAGP)School of Psychology, Cardiff University
- Geoengineering - taking control of our planet's climate. Event 8-9 November 2010The Royal Society, London
- Geoengineering risk and criteria. Dialogue Resource Material - Presentation
- Geoengineering technology types. Dialogue Resource Material - Handout
- Geoengineering the climate: science, governance and uncertaintyRoyal Society Report
- Geoengineering: Challenges and impactsRAENG report
- Integrated Assessment of Geoengineering Proposals (IAGP)
- Introduction to geoengineering. Dialogue Resource Material - Presentation
- Living with Environmental Change
- NERC Experiment Earth? WebpageNERC
- NERC press release on launch of dialogue reportNERC
- Regulation of GeoengineeringHouse of Commons Report